Wikis could be a terrific way to involve more students in activities that take place in the library. Not to mention student book reviews, book club functions, suggestions from teachers, and on and on...... I found it very easy to create an account with PBWorks and just as easy to edit a page and add a comment on the book review page. The video, the PBWorks Tour, makes everything about their wiki service look wonderful. I hope to talk to some of the teachers about using wikis to plan with each other. I can think of a million and one uses for wikis in an educational setting. Once again...how do you monitor content? I suppose if you are sharing and collaborating with known peers, it probably wouldn't be such an issue.
In general I am not a fan of Wikipedia for high school research although I understand the content is supposedly monitored for accuracy and language, etc. I prefer introducing students to the data base services provided by our school district. Using wikis for working together with peers and interest groups seems more reasonable and appropriate. I hope to use wikis at work for a variety of projects in the near future.
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment